Re: What would you pay for an 11-yr old solid state FM TX?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: What would you pay for an 11-yr old solid state FM TX?
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 19:47:33 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=Y5UXzlFpoWIDnSl2xEXhFjStKCp8mUFLTsWxPOBoseQ=; b=QQCS2aZkV1cs3K6C/2BcJNTOxTT1hJyXPJl1V6wLm3dMjIoxLp/vrctRhKBxu1DE0S 4P9oAVAT5uEZARqoX4oyaeHY4ggk2xScPuNoG9kMYovy1R2cFCNQfloWATBBJiCxuxee yGggv/Pf7QIEbgqVU3g4AydnaxWL+c2TNNQuL1AQZnXQfXHOieNx2Npgou5TqoZl4HTF JTi0nYTqFqmEFXIhTeST9TXmcMGpx4Fo/pzlDJAT12jFUa54iCe/GIV0QUhBYQM8LoNL WXTrZGT7v2+/6AhNv8dXFMdiiRBGT06MyJSLcbixP5ZP6GvzsUnQwee8KbSdkEhQWHPp brLQ==
I know I'm late to the party on this, so forgive me if it's useless information at this stage.

I would be concerned about Bext support, if it's a Bext transmitter you're talking about. I have an HS5000 that we bought on the used market a couple of years ago. When I got it wired up and ready to go on the air, it would come up ever so briefly then drop off again with the microprocessor display showing some kind of power supply error.

I went to Bext and they were zero help. Literally NONE. The transmitter was eight years old or so and nobody knew a thing about it. They offered to work on it if I would SHIP it to Cali so they could have it in their shop. That wasn't happening.

I learned the transmitter was a re-labeled RVR, and went to RVR USA in Florida with my questions. They were willing to be helpful, but really didn't help me either. I got lucky and solved the problem on my own with documentation from the 10kW transmitter in the series, that used the same power supply controller. The information I needed wasn't in the rather unfortunately translated manual for the 5kW series.

I don't have anything bad to say about the RVR guys, they seemed willing to try, but didn't really spend enough time with me for me to feel there was any will to get to the bottom of the issue. The transmitter was obviously out of warranty so I realize there was no money in it for them. It was complicated somewhat by the fact that the guy who really had some technical savvy spoke English as a second language, so conversation in the transmitter room with fans running was difficult at best.

I will say that since I figured out which various buttons to push to reset the power supply controller, and got the thing on the air, it's been running fine and I have not needed any further support. The transmitter now has maybe eighteen months of service (it was "New Old Stock" when purchased with something like 14 hours on it) and it's been pretty solid. Once in a while when lightning disturbs the power lines the thing will come up with a couple of modules muted because of some perceived error. We do a power-off restart and all is well again.

Nevertheless, my experience with Bext USA was not great in this instance.

MarkC
Yankton