RE: New Main Automation Computer
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: New Main Automation Computer
From: Jesse Diller <jdiller@weec.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 19:49:07 +0000

For the last few systems I’ve built, I have used Microcenter for motherboard/CPU combos.  If you buy both, they are usually cheaper than Newegg.

For storage, I have been following Backblaze’s blog (at https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q2-2018); they have 100,000 drives in their data center and keep detailed stats on reliability.  Based on that, I have been using HGST drives.  For SSDs, I use Samsung Pro.

After a capacitor debacle on our HD exporter a few years ago, I have started buying and storing an extra motherboard when I build a new system; years later, I want to be able to swap it out without having to rebuild the whole machine, or pay $1000+ on ebay for a drop-in replacement, or re-cap a motherboard (doable, but takes a good bit of time).

- Jesse Diller

IT Director, Strong Tower Christian Media
WEEC 100.7FM / WFCJ 93.7FM