Re: Barix 500 Exstreamer as stand-along MP3 stream receive unit?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Barix 500 Exstreamer as stand-along MP3 stream receive unit?
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 18:18:16 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=I3G2gp+jnxygRLNSq1Kz2BRAl12lRzcAMrShCHOuBo0=; b=TrZwiLENCeSmHgRaWIbi2W8LSlCGb1ohiwOmIO70Yu50PVawtDIOd2wXB6bjWyodPy aw/X+b6QSbLLfr3eudGWVW2inJ084z/qKZhHhEQdnw/vf1YwzdXbVQ/+0SD3cqpn+ui0 4cVvW8L1ySYULWFw7CExtOu8FAmZnmkoKEYJMn5MJHKP40H4XlLjKRsHrgxmUT/R4Atf QPgW1JYTb+cHiDOJqLu7jgQ2mj9BtcwbBMLVYUU5LQVMoZXyvMfn5v6SjEpJb4LzuqXP xSPCKPHSavn9mkF79JL+KYXOGYBFRsZ27NtWOdU9yDc9AjN8ILUDH6eKmMA9/cZQjGjN H62A==
David,

As long as the stream has a direct IP address or URL, the 500 should be able to connect and decode it.  If VLC will decode the stream, the 500 typically will as well.

IF they are using one of the ever increasingly popular "integrated" streaming services that requires an app or browser plugin, It will probably not work.  Many of the modern streaming services use apps that work within the browser and typically kick the listener off the stream every few hours.

One of my clients had a very, very basic icecast stream that was not only the web page "Listen Live" link for 3 stations but was also a backup STL for their transmitters when needed.  They changed to one of the hightech type streams (mixlr?) that provided all manner of stats, chat, request line, etc but basically lost the ability to use the stream as a backup STL

Good luck,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT