Re: Heliax cable bend?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Heliax cable bend?
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 16:34:59 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=He8Yy9vYw5S+Jjm5XqyBiW5XuehkAmadOgh84+/KFEY=; b=mj00oNDdvYeDT6zSfHPp5IkIGjO3vp3d8w04r62Su++PGC2/l7jiGZEg77T3BsrIqb E7B9AShJxZRqNpeZ7jn1/Z5CgY0UkhJcKK7YULpeX8fJIw1nBiU5ifs0rdZHcSoDTRP9 OLbbjgimxgXN1mvL8dEgrjypstHDItyVXMgxfFXpHbi8KGbSkigEL0+uRhf/sUcYVexE ZEFs4UzE8KxG1gi3NsFDRfYz7OERELRqxPx3xTSWH/w4jVUzdn3ZfQNsGR47wnJwk2fg qY75QNIpsmz/kzPqLDRzeaJSwiYlFIPxaZ1BHyEcIHPzyIpbyUmUvoo0WGvb9hdrgtaQ zTLg==
Bill,

Be very careful straightening out that sharp of a bend.  IF it is older line, it can probably be carefully straightened out without problem.  IF it is new foil thin copper line, maybe not so much.  Just be careful and support the bend on the back side.  The line probably won't break or fail catastrophically in the straightening process but might retain some egg shape or creases that would reduce the voltage handling of the area. The center conductor will probably remain reasonably centered in the jacket.   Key word here PROBABLY...

However, check to see if the line has been kinked over immediately behind the connector.  IF it has, it will need to be cut off and the connector reinstalled.  I have repaired a number of AM and FM installations where the cable was bent sharply behind the connector and suffered a burn out at the kink.  In this case, the center conductor will take the shortest route thru the kink and ends up much closer to the center of the kink than it should be.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346