Re: Remote equipment for sports broadcasting
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Remote equipment for sports broadcasting
From: Scott Fitzsimmons <scott@therock985.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 11:34:23 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=therock985-ca.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=Z1EbQ/6tvX0wquKxu6SCOpenuaH+ZXU6GOjCs5ZyNTY=; b=IBzeunS28vTGrB4tzg56Ivnebt6H/EWjrwOs1m3CoUZpT7iIJOYxC5I5BCQfpINL+a /ESwckyRxkmDoOP8VCzpDN3oRrVYBG2203lcQrpQUlW8rMCIoZ0c1PFeqeY5kdm6XvKM CrcUpchFCTo7NS8a4LZATY9aJdcVW7/ka7RNkuDhP1dypYIbQ9KsqEMC57mhoZtQVWuQ wW38J86qOfaOvwkiWw+iRCluSaBcdJ4ZzvcFgwwPERQ+sbxyaVyr+OU1Q6YeBjhG5NXE JJeXNgC1qEgBV83yLOQ4lS4fyEXElCcQP2Hwd1JCdWSsc7veVfdk/Syj9AE3sGVaoZHB dBGg==
I completely agree about the more expensive, the fewer steps needed, and easier to setup and even train.

We have a very limited budget, so we often set up in different ways. We've used a Comrex POTS setup before we ran out of usable POTS lines. We will use an original iRig into a Behringer Mixer that allows us to use a cell phone line. We do have a Tascam 1 Channel Cell unit that allows the most portable broadcast, but doesn't allow for multiple mics.

My favourite is what an engineer in Ontario told me about. The program is Teamspeak and it allows you to connect with a cloud server that you pay $32 a year for. It allows you access to 32 people connected at a time although we very rarely have 3 or more. We cam use it through a mobile app,(although that only works through a headphone jack) but it works best through a computer with an internet connection. We use an iRig Pro Duo or a Zoom R24 through the computer depending on how many ports I need. The compression on the Teamspeak server doesn't use much at all, so hotspotting is a very viable option. The quality is great.

I always expect to be on call to walk our Broadcaster through the setup, or just clarify he has it setup correctly, but we get a broadcast that is better than our competitors, and since we're not even close to the market for the other options, it's worth it for a little extra setup work to bring in the income for the Broadcasts, or On Locations.

It does take some tweaking with your system, and with public wifi setups, and can cause headaches if you don't know the IT person at a location. But in most situations, hotspotting is the choice.

It sounds bush league, but can be a very affordable option.

Scott Fitzsimmons
Program Director
The ROCK 98 Five
Yorkton, SK