Re: SSDs
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: SSDs
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 16:42:37 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=CSpDAsv1MjtFtqCsTrJ9z/XpT9AjL+m8IEyZq4AXA+M=; b=qIEY0N4205MreSxAn4F1WAxtr2+h7p2cMQk3cRGBc/AWvbNXSmx6LCxEQXxz1tHQwU kIlnt5hH6luNMg7jTBxVTuzBOIGMmn46PIvIfXPFcYuKqSq+k+FWQsYdUOrqkK2BE5Fp N22TP1lve0xc+8HmDFyxPaSSSWuueBbfUCneFKbzHyEaH4A7IB58iIZ3mhosDmO1qEH6 5zXXsJC4AEd702LxSHNiBzj6cfZwVdW54D4FICeCAguj1TScYVT2KLx3EaMcJZ1TdGu8 t6IT1gAQwRJ8YkLsLjpo5cqvcj6WAePpZ6qvJ39800vRGQaQmZpyj1xOvwNwkbwSHIJd sexQ==
I've transitioned quite a few computers from spinning disks to SSD over the past few years.

Pros:
1) BLAZING FAST!!!!!
2) Reasonable cost
3) Lower power consumption (Important in laptops)
4) No noise, more durable, very little heat. (Laptops again)

Cons:
1)When they die, **THEY DIE!!!** Instantly! TOTALLY! Without warning! :(
2) In desktop PCs, an adapter/bracket is usually needed

I haven't had *ANY* warning on the few that have died, thus far. You can be in the middle of something in Windows, get a B.S.O.D. Reboot, "No HD Found". That's all she wrote!! :(

So, BACKUPS ARE ABSOLUTELY VITAL!! (But aren't they ALWAYS, ANYWAY?) :)

At my former employer, the audio is stored on spinning disks (1 TB) but the OS & apps for all machines are now on SSD. With 6 machines running DAD, the upgrade to SSD made a dramatic speed improvement. It was especially noticeable with Adobe Audition! If you do your editing on the SSD, the speed increase is quite noticeable! Then just save the finished product to the "main" spinning disk.

Every machine has a backup stored onto two portable spinning disk USB drives. (Wonderful things, those are!!) In the few times where i did have a machine fail, I just restored the backup onto a brand new SSD, and plugged it into the machine. All systems GO! :)

It seems that the older version (V2.3 or 3.2, I forget, now!) of the AOMEI Backupper Free works best. The newest versions are more "crippled". I don't know how much better the paid/most recent version would be, but the free one does the basic backup/restore function quite nicely. It essentially creates a "perfect clone" of the original drive, even when run within Windows. Pretty nifty. :)

Willie...