Re: RE: AM Power level question to the Oracle....
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: RE: AM Power level question to the Oracle....
From: KBGN AM <kbgn@kbgnradio.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 18:58:02 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=kbgnradio.com; s=default; h=Content-Type:MIME-Version:Subject:References: In-Reply-To:Message-ID:To:From:Date:Sender:Reply-To:Cc: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date: Resent-From:Resent-Sender:Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id: List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive; bh=16uyiDZPLF9+85CBVX1GfAbzMr6CbHULcw+c6doYLwY=; b=MpntHPohBC0sE9fQyFHV54lUT 5jvnICcTT04f6V8K0hzK95cKnhI9s8fyo8qvpDKIzEE+EEDRuuzritUk8ses8h9yxFEr7IVTeYxc0 HoF1H93FE8v0IiUsXvbHp92+JP;
Here at KBGN, to complement our 10kW daytime power, we are allowed 250W PSA and a monthly varying power for the first hour after sunset; then 58W for the second and final hour after sunset, making for a total of about 13 different power levels throughout the year. We could use fewer power levels by sacrificing maximum allowable le els for some months, but we squeeze out every puny watt. Unfortunately, the Commission hasn't seen the need to modify the antiquated and no longer necessary clear channel rules to allow daytime stations like ours to push harder against the 50kW priority signals at night.

I use a Sine Systems transmitter controller communicating with a homebrew software program via dedicated phone line to automatically control the power levels. The software, which reprograms certain memory locations daily, must have data files updated one or more times a year to stay current. There are no 'fancy dancy' interface displays, but it has automatically set, monitored and adjusted power levels for two transmitters since 2004, making unattended operation possible.

Incidentally, I have had numerous DX reports from Scandinavia while operating at those 'flea powers'.

Nels Wilson