C-band satellite downlink interactive map
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: C-band satellite downlink interactive map
From: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 15:16:13 -0400
http://bit.ly/C-Band_Downlinks

I thought some of you might be interested to poke around the map of all the current C-band satellite downlink registrations on file with the FCC.

It’s a static snapshot of the data posted as of yesterday.

Active sites are in green, pending registrations are shown in yellow, and closed (defunct/updated/superseded) sites are shown in red.  You can enable/disable each layer, and it’s all searchable.  Use the “Base Map” link at the bottom of the nav bar to change it to aerial/satellite photos for visual confirmation of a site.

There are some obvious errors in the filings (like one where the longitude was 36 degrees instead of 86), but don’t assume all the ones in the middle of the oceans or Gulf are incorrect.  There really are some tiny (US Territory) islands out there along with a bunch of oil rigs, and the FAA has some legitimate sites way out in the boonies.

Enjoy, and feel free to pass the link on to other groups & lists as you may feel would be beneficial to any other group beyond this circle of radio folks.

Notes:
* I omitted the make/model/size details for the satellite dishes themselves because that would have added about 3,000 additional data points beyond the ~4,500 active sites plus pending & inactive.

* I had to use 3 separate layers for all Active sites because Google Maps only allows <2,000 sites per layer.

* Oh, and Amb-OS Media has a registration in the system, but I think they’re unique in that they have no actual callsign assigned to them.  That one threw me for a loop for a bit. ;-)

I’m open to (reasonable/easy) suggestions for improvements.
--
Sherrod Munday

Follow-Ups: Re: C-band satellite downlink interactive map
(Mark Carol Bohnett <mbohnett43@bevcomm.net>, 28 Sep 2018 20:33:52 -0000)
Re: C-band satellite downlink interactive map
(Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>, 28 Sep 2018 20:44:23 -0000)
Re: C-band satellite downlink interactive map
(Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>, 28 Sep 2018 22:41:25 -0000)