Re: Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
From: Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 16:24:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=wwib-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=/yQHONzPZuVy/2DKyF9MC5Q03gitLQj0tlrliDsarX0=; b=MQBqp4K7Jv0N+ZOUIFlGtGG1s2/KpN0BILw43Y8Sy35LLuoNMuXEZatvr97+ZvIx6U j1OP/Ul7rotbU0Sc185e8uIQa2zlBA0djdHJUHRE7SKXV/BGE8OON+H0xFToWX/cT1Ym LXAgGZF+P8GMLN6l5COMGbvoo2QclAQk2ckQDNibwK6gFymzb7YzPby3K4EczKrDQcne 5AOJCJBqTWseaMiY4194iJo+r+tReNP9HARNoU8sHrAMRLYrZNIHNop26nNnwCWbjql3 VdI+1I0KXidgNepdaJDwqlseBauuTmvQwSSL2o+PsAu1tnvtwnA9kuVwgpmxbVqLr+b7 b3EQ==
That's a great way to run your POTS lines. Great design by Telos too (as usual). We'll probably keep a single POTS line for back-up, and for our Comrex Hotline and Tieline to use when POTS is the only path. We've never used a "system" from Telos, but we sure have loved their One and HX hybrids.

It is enough of a topic for its own thread, but we're being enticed toward SIP for the cost savings and the potential audio quality benefits (including G.722 -7kHz audio bandwidth on calls so originated). I don't expect POTS to be shut down anytime soon, but for us here, it is being eliminated by the economics of $70+ monthly line charges (not including long-distance).

Even our telemetry at transmitter and translator sites is going toward all IP at this stage, and I am not setting up any new POTS equipment for this. The old Burk/Gentner '2500' gear is hangin' in there, though we mostly access these via IP now.

We remain unconverted in the studio. On-air consoles are AES, and production is Allen & Heath sweet analog ;-). But, the Wheaties and Axia guys are always grinning at us from their booths at the shows. They know their day is coming. Assimilation to IP will one day be complete throughout the galaxy...

Pat