Re: Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
From: Mike Shane <somethingorother@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

If you have the option of staying with POTS lines, the Telos 1X6 is great. It has loop-thru for all six lines so you can share lines for multiple uses.

i set up 4 lines as Harvey describes. All lines go to the Telos, then loop back out for other uses. These can be whatever you want: office use, fax, other POTS equipment such as Comrex Hotlines, computer telco modems, etc.

if the Studio picks up a line first (on the 1X6), the line is removed from the loop-thru and just appears dead to anything downline. If a downline device picks up the line first, the 1X6 senses this and steadily lights an indicator so you can see that in the studio, and also locks out the line buttons for that line until it is free again so you don’t interrupt what’s going on with that line.

in my application, I have two rollover lines routed to the 1X6, then each to one of two Comrex Hotlines (set to either not answer or to answer only after 6 rings) using the Tel Line jack, then from the Tel Set jack to a production room phone tied to a separate Telos One. Before heading to the production room, one line also went to a computer modem, via the modem’s Line jack, with the Set jack connected to production.

One line can have up to four applications in this kind of setup (and more if you want). Any device downstream of the Telos 1x6 that picks up a line locks out all the downstream devices by disconnection, and the upstream 1X6 locks itself out. If the 3rd to last device in the chain is on the line, upstream devices looking for an incoming call, other than the 1x6, are locked out by virtue of the line being busy. The 1x6 locks itself out and can’t make an outgoing call, either.

Later Telos devices do not offer this handy loop thru option.

Mike Shane in Omaha