Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: looking for telephone interface 'input'
From: Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 00:03:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=wwib-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=HvRaAfBR2eQW6d4GMtisgLL1Beqj7Ia23MKsqOkR3zM=; b=D2kAyQvakzAMOon4JtmViIjcVYTVl9DBdlaZijjAJHK2VWkrq8l8tu6Z/I4fRg9z5z mW2TTYEUarBzepZSB+7hszFvzfEooL/F8N6xhqLYrH1tXCYHuFmDvhQc7nqh0yDP3cH2 9KiwzqpbvaklDle5ZOUYYPo7YsrtYac3wyDQboJs842RZ7lmb9cIrqF729eUP4ZQXSxR 53P5ASAbfdLpGbChYHfS7wAuJgIMnsY12/Fddi1p19dSFluHW5LfIn4HHmNzQ3rgrUdL rn7FRt/R+BZHF2XxPMzEe12DIc7OnXnnQzQdkt7osiFJA040RIbXWcp2IT7xIngRSRgp pRyg==
I need to outfit six studios, two of which have multiple phones (guest/callers) for talk programming. Our current (1986) KSU phone system is analog and shared between offices and studios by custom tweaking the KSU to Set audio pairs to work with Telos One and HX digital hybrids. Since the early digital office phone systems did not offer "soft-phones," the only options were a technically inferior tap of the audio at the handset or a kludgy transfer of the call to a POTS hardware emulation.

Now, I'm told "soft-phones" from Mitel or Vonage can run on a PC and simply (a) pass the caller audio bitstream out of a sound card to the console, and (b) receive the console mix-minus through the sound card and into the outgoing bitstream. If it is that simple, and there's no hybrid needed in the interface, then what is the Telos or Comrex product doing other than audio-processing? You see, I don't get to use Telos or Comrex for the office system, and I don't really want to bridge two PBX systems, but they want our phone lines to be shared by offices and studios. So, I'm wondering what I can do with soft-phones in the studios and perhaps some caller voice-processing. Is this unworkable, untried, routine & simple, or on the wrong track to start with … ???

Pat