RE: Open Source or Inexpensive CAD/Drawing Program
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Open Source or Inexpensive CAD/Drawing Program
From: Bob Morris <Bobmorris54@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:18:00 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=outlook.com; s=selector1; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=230tOFThbe43LLqDnVn9TdLIhZl/lvt0cvBJMIoDDZY=; b=N0J8L9OhuUfjPbCBPIz59dO7OQCof4VBCeSZZKmoHepXGBYKEZW+gZaiGkyxD1A+pRArtoI1jKdThgEPNcnnDtRDyr4Df4p/zYU21Qas7PixtbkMVlt8j7qjuQHPN+i7UfwOEnT5r1Rp2A+FS+XWViRQ2IWgyahMt/Yej9H5QzgTrFBQDsy8Yfv3khVBVZCXRr/2SeL5E1Z/bdlztVhE4Y/xov02as+EtAIJ4xxmr7LVj6pMwGGXI26iI2kwBpnFAffIIKVSBG9SEvVS/SFdIlm1MqzGJNHT/Xtgz8GeVfLDbCnvgtF4qkLD8LM3QE5ZuIVbFHc4hQVLi/Y2cNB6mA==

In answer to the draftsight question, I think it supports blocks but not quite in the sophisticated way Autocad does. You can use dwg files for blocks in DS. I confess I have not used this feature yet so I can’t speak directly to exactly how the blocks concept is executed in DS. I think I will play with that over the next few days. Because DS supports AC files very well, I suspect any dwg files for pre-drawn components would work as well.

I have adopted DS as my goto CAD program but I still do all my stuff in Visio. I love Visio 2016. I have access to it through my regular employers home user program. When I leave that in a couple years, I will lose access to Visio. At that time, if I can afford a personal copy of Visio, I will stay with that. If not, I will pony up the dollars for Draftsight and that will be it for me.

Bob Morris

Recording Engineer, Wells of Salvation Studio (www.wellsofsalvation.com)

Bobmorris54@outlook.com

Engineer/Chief Fixer-Upper, Faith and Friends Radio (www.faithandfriendsradio.com)

bob@faithandfriendsradio.com

937.416.1245

No plants or animals were harmed in the generation and dissemination of this message.

However, a large number of electrons and magnetic particles were significantly inconvenienced.