Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>, Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
From: "vern@wa0rcr.com vern@wa0rcr.com" <vern@wa0rcr.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 14:52:16 -0500 (CDT)

Regarding C Band Sat. receive.  As several have said, Internet is nice when it works. We are using Wireless Internet to one of my client's studio locations. For most all applications, ie: E-mail; EAS CAP; bringing in content; connecting Sat. Receivers; and

sending a continuous audio mp3 stream to three of our transmitter sites; it works well most all of the time. HOWEVER, the past few months; especially at certain times of the day, usually in the evening, the STL link will go down for maybe 20 or 30 seconds; then come back up for maybe 5 seconds, then repeat. Ping plotter shows 15 to 18 hops from each transmitter site back to the Studio. Many attempts to solve have been made. The present solution is to provide an over the air signal from our studio/transmitter site to a receiver in the ISP's office. From there it is sent out to the 3 transmitter sites. This is very reliable most of the time. BUT, in the past year we have had two hard Internet failures, at two of the sites; local road ditching project, took one site off for 2 days. Another outage lasted about 14 hours, and was  part of of a nationwide outage. This an example of relying on only the public Internet for STL which is the only solution possible in this case. Due to cost and studio or transmitter location.  Relying on only Internet for program distribution could be expected to cause similar problems for radio or TV. If C-band goes, I guess we could all go to KU-band, which is not in the spotlight right now,. Yes, we would have rain or snow fade; but with internet as back up, at least we would not be subject  to 1 or 2 day outages, as with Internet only.

This may be the new future of radio and TV in the USA.  Maybe, have lots of "Best OF" programming on hand.

Just a thought.

Vern

Jackson Communications   WA0RCR

I recently discovered that ATT provides almost all bandwidth for vast area's of VZW in TN and AL (and probably others).  A car plowed thru a major cross connect hut on US72 between Huntsville & Florence AL and killed all ATT fibers thru the area.  One of my clients has a digital program line that was down, their backup ATT DSL was down AND my VZW backup-to-the-backup aircard was limited to less than 100k bandwidth on the local cell sites.  A local cell tech said that they (VZW) had very limited microwave data capabilities to most of their rural sites and depended on ATT for most of the overflow bw.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346
www.amgroundsystems.com

I detest the idea of relying only on internet for program delivery. If your internet goes down, then you're in a bit of a pickle. Our area recently experienced an internet outage that wasn't just one provider. From what I understand, someone dug into one of the major fiber lines between here and the metroplex. One of our local TV stations use's three ISP's, but when they all come through the same pipe, it doesn't really matter.

(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 13 Jul 2018 16:15:23 -0000)
Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
(Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>, 30 Jul 2018 16:54:24 -0000)
Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
(dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>, 30 Jul 2018 18:04:21 -0000)
Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
(Tim Roberts <tim@kmocfm.com>, 30 Jul 2018 19:38:24 -0000)
Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
(Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>, 3 Aug 2018 00:45:30 -0000)