Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
From: Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 15:22:38 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=yzNMoWPqtXTD67RjohZxFEJk/15lwRYqoC8qnNCbDgQ=; b=U/IWCP2iGjl1W7cs4m3wjC68jgC/Vj760W22P10KgcvbMAusFfZ2nZWjvJG4NsLSFR cu6NOKk8C8HArERlx+pD9/7sNVP63nMOHKlDKgsDvVIrdcs0nx0IheuozynkTMhgy+hl 9kZYLKChx+Thoy30FA3WwIdy0TGctDC2o5lDGMlszAgdDzqaMUO4qlBN3H/Mvz+pa6C7 UR+DgxxX7TfNo6uYjn2wAUNb6G9YIntssoP9pIjGJLmc+0X6cL5ONEgUVadYwY0LkF3r NCciUbGROVPK0L+QEwV0VU/MoO88x9L0JLPPo0tt8gZeA+KRDlFCU9UN1fzyHIYKPD7U ZMAw==
Excellent article, Sherrod. Some thoughts about satellite delivery. First, satellite use technology has NOT been standing still. Yes, satellite use has been around for many years, but, today's satellite systems are a far cry from the early days of megahertz wide analog signals. We have a variety of compressed digitally multiplexed signals that are much less vulnerable to noise and other issues than before. We have narrower bandwidths and spot beam capabilities to get much more efficient use of available space segment.

For communications purposes, we still have three basic media available, copper, fiber optic, and RF. Fiber optic cable is relatively recent to the scene, but still, those three are it. It is how we utilize those that is the difference. We once had one slow speed analog signal per pair of copper wires, and now, through advances in technology, we have dozens of circuits on two pair of copper wires. I remember a small handful of circuits on a single fiber pair, now we have thousands. A single TV channel once occupied a full 36 MHz transponder on a satellite, now there are hundreds of channels on a given transponder.

The beauty of satellite is the minimal infrastructure requirements. This is one area which really concerned me in Sherrod's article. Aside from program distribution, news gathering is heavily dependent on satellite access. We have had some serious situations lately that severely taxed the local infrastructure. Super storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, etc. wreak havoc on the local communications infrastructure. You have the combined issues of physical damage to available towers and repeaters as well as system overload by much higher demands for service than the system can handle. Look at South Florida after last year's hurricanes. Cell towers and central offices all heavily damaged greatly reducing the capacity for telephone and Internet service, compounded by millions of customers calling into and out of the area trying to reach loved ones plus the hundreds of gigabytes of pictures posted to social media, makes for little chance for effective usage of the Internet via cell service for news gathering and streaming video. More recently, look at Redding, California. Thousands of acres destroyed by wildfires. Hundreds of buildings burned to the ground, many more damaged, and many cell and radio towers out of service. With the widespread devastation, it will be days if not weeks to restore service. Unlike a hurricane or tornado, where
 the threat is over within hours, with a wildfire, it may be days before it is safe to enter an area to restore service. News crews who are depending solely on their LiveU cameras and cell  service to file their stories are going to be out of luck. Satellite communications will be the only viable option in these situations.

There is talk by some in the industry of protecting existing satellite users from new 5G services. If satellite services were a static environment, there is a slight chance of some protection, but that is not really the case, especially for ENG/SNG operations. News events cannot be planned for. Stuff happens any place at any time.

Yes, sad times indeed for the broadcast industry. This is simply steps backward any way you look at it.

Michael