Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
From: Mark Johnson <linkupsat@icloud.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 13:51:26 -0500
Cc: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=icloud.com; s=04042017; t=1532976689; bh=VZXrQ4UQ1AKHpriMcIyb49sxEAgGpOIHyG/B3cN5bbw=; h=From:Message-id:Content-type:MIME-version:Subject:Date:To; b=O6xmy5Pr46aXsscZhqsKE76vWucKg+8Wx4XkPB2QksgZdPyWXd/a+MzDGQLyQVYqX AUHXFKYewE8vOUv3I4zoaT99KjQQG9igdAPWsw+EFTQDvWljfZcnGniZydNuTjwRR4 MDFEqmBb1x/Ut3TOp7ncjWYKzINXu3yvePV17yCjgsTyJ4OMdp5CbJsXPM3wylG6iW M3FtnHxyiB7EEpR0FOg9FZXHgcTyl9mqvaFag/mi98LDFibSplUbpt9DW6sGzfEc2I ATwnKrqpunG4RvawzIhbICuNImSgRsB+mJlz6E2Qxm/JQDgtcU7a6hv/Y1qPi5Xi44 0MtrYQtC9jARw==
Well said Dave!

C-band satellite delivery is the only point to multi point delivery system that can reliably be measured at 99.99% reliable. 99.99% is broadcast reliability, not what Netflix is happy to use.

Their is also bandwidth costs for any solution. The good news for C-band is the program distributor pays one cost and all of his sites (no matter how many) are available. With internet, the program distributor will have expanded bandwidth requirements as the network grows, the affiliates will need to find and pay for bandwidth. The total costs is not measurable.

5G could go to any number of available frequencies. However these broadband folks have a vision of a market where all content is a revenue stream for them (I.e. sporting events). The live broadcast of sporting events and all content over Radio and TV is competitor to that market plan.

5G has targeted this frequency range along with 3 or 4 other bands and the existing users are considered expendable because we have to beat other nations to 5G implementation. Hundreds of small market TV and Radio stations will be crippled or put out of business with the increase cost of programming if they have to leave C-band.

Mark Johnson
703-217-8290
KM4NKD
CSRE