Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
From: dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:03:58 -0600
yeah, ok, so it may make sense to embrace, or at least switch to, the "newer technologies" (but the internet is just as 'old' as C-band, no?), and the internet has a long way to go for reliability. we are still at the mercy of every bozo running a backhoe. we've several times had 'dual' feeds both wiped out because they really had a common path. and it can take days to splice things back together, and even then with a good portion of the wires crossed.

and the global warming folks are convinced that 10% of the internet hubs will be underwater by 2033.

yes, more broadcasting and used-to-be-satellite services are using the internet and cell service with good success. but it seems like it's always good to have options, and giving up C-band removes a huge option. leaving us with just one. the internet. C-band has 3 pieces: uplink, satellite, downlink. the internet has thousands (millions?) of pieces (most of which can be or have been hacked) and how many miles of wire, fibre, etc? hmm. which seems more reliable? the internet's "reliability" only comes thru duplicating, triplicating, quad.... etc.

maybe "the internet" is the savior, the future. but it comes at the expense of options, alternatives. sorry. in my mind a satellite will always be "higher" tech than the internet. and satellite is the only option where you don't have all those fibre and copper cables. we keep thinking everybody in the world (or even in this country) has about the same internet as we do in the big cities. far from it. Hughes Net seems to be doing ok, providing INTERNET via SATELLITE. hmmm.

dave allen