Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: It's the End of SatCom as we know it ...
From: Alex McKenzie <alex@kprd.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:59:09 -0500
I've been thinking the same thing, Sherrod.

For the last few years I've been trying to push stations away from relying so heavily on C-Band. Thinking economically, IP has revolutionized so much of the way we do things. It's hard to justify the expense of what's basically just data delivery now, by sending it to space and not instead using the inexpensive and readily available(and even redundant by design) networks on earth!

For many of the stations I serve, content delivery is 95%+ online, and just a simple audio file. In my mind, there's very little reason to host your FTP site in space when Denver will do just as well!

I realize that live content delivery isn't quite as simple, but given the fact that most teenagers can live stream pretty reliably from their cell phones, we should be able to come up with a consistent method with multiple layers of redundancy.

Not to mention the fact that when 5G rolls out, the throughput of existing networks and networks to come will be mind boggling to us and far exceed our needs.

My $0.02, anyway!

Alex McKenzie

Best,
Alex