Weekly EAS tests
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Weekly EAS tests
From: Andy Larsen <andy@whwl.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 13:27:36 -0400
Probably a stupid question about weekly EAS tests--more because I'm scratching my head at this.

I was checking our EAS log from last week, and saw two tests sent a couple hours apart. When I pulled the operating log to see if both had been scheduled, I remembered why. The first one had been sent in practice mode--not on-air. I was training in a new employee and just wanted to walk her through the process since a test was scheduled later in the morning. The Sage log shows NO indication that it was a practice test. The details in the log are identical, other than the date & time.

I have not gone to look up the rule, but I think the weekly tests need to be on-air, so it actually tests the functionality of the unit, don't they? If a station wanted, they could send all their weekly tests in practice mode, and the only way it would make a difference is if the FCC were listening and comparing actual on-air content to the logged tests. Obviously an LP station would have to be on-air for downstream stations to receive tests. I'm thinking of a station like us at the bottom of the food chain, where nobody is listening for our EAS tests.

I would have thought the Sage would stamp a practice test as such--never noticed before that they weren't. Thoughts?

--
Andy Larsen

Manager
WHWL * WEUL * WHWG