RE: Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
From: "Bill Hurne" <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 09:49:41 -0700

We have installed solar power for low power FM translators, but have gotten away from it because it turned out to be much more maintenance than anticipated.   For a 20 watt TPO translator, we used a bank of ten, six-volt golf cart type batteries in order to have enough capacity to operate continuously through cloudy and snowy weather.   These cannot be mounted in a small cabinet attached to a pole.   Batteries were charged by a pair of solar panels which were 4 by 2 feet which had to be mounted very securely.   They were blown over multiple times by strong mountain top wind storms.

Bill