Re: Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
From: Dave Obergoenner <daveobergoenner@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:02:18 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=qDWm12tQqSElG2igURoKlqMvEEhm96UyqabiO+iKoJw=; b=LICWVffdyzYzxutYSSaBxrjhYWSuWa4EgpXsbUvssApAdJuWzhoOb6Sw9xWOoQQxII 03ZL6eW9q897hlQqJ8V09bzU3VAMTt3+4xha6jM4lnbC+FLBY0bRdfZVu0pm9cDaTvjo 9uVysFCF8MdEKUOGAOKxMrTbFayCbECGZIoxtCS3aib6zIiiSQLEJJiZmU7GSfDplYkZ FATSb902ci7ge18lXfT7DTDwEt7SJDHW/aPcHC1inelbUBB5qjrWxR1LBnXOpt0b6akZ WTR4NsVNTEBKvBP2m+0XkDRLodetXP06//m8c6ejp8AeiFg2AONM41YBk1UVU6lh+T9l r0ng==
These folks have great prices on good gear (Missouri Wind and Solar)...

Sounds like you just need a 240 watt panel, a small charge controller, and a small inverter (pure sine-wave preferred).

I realize you only need a little more than 10 watts, but I'd design the system with a good deal of overhead.  Remember two important things...The sun is NOT shining at night, and Cloudy days don't produce much solar energy.  Also, if your panel is covered in snow for a few days, you won't get much out of it.  Place the panel where you can get to it easily to rake-off the snow with a push-broom if need-be.

For batteries, I'd suggest a pair of 6 volt Trojan T105 batteries in series.  They are considered "golf-cart" batteries, and are designed for continuous cycling.  Get those locally so you don't have to pay shipping.  That pair would likely run your stuff for days with no sun at all.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Dave O.