Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Small Site Solar Equipment Advice Needed
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 21:35:19 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=pia26e1v/7sxpW5F5YoLp+6Lr5m8Gzu2wXo7HTO/sSI=; b=l8UHuvVi44Juo1EeSIVUirRcsn2ST4yvNnTQvjap1gmZvUwPt0YeBgSiJKiNbkmdiB EqvAZvoOs1A9f5x6bWmf+sm+B52cNrYNOswD+zknZ2VZRi/xVPM8pvTg8vAZS5EKcn4i 6QigORiLCXV8OJFP8hmrH2SFKCyu0J3+m5ZGdgJyrI0IjrktabSAVOmL0EFmj7zfse4s X4hOr2XjwIaX8xJyKydk4VWvCo3HhTN3aaytliLS6XKdvtRTm35CSrYDJwhiOiGRlm56 d4TMy8++si94rgEaqyMwUED91g9kFRXYqwb9QyhtcU5AeV+cfCo1v96JVtkBj3xbZnNb HW0A==
Hi All,

I have a situation where I might need to power a Ubiquiti hop site with some type of solar/battery/inverter setup.

It's just two PoE radios, rated at 5.5W power consumption each (120V into PoE adapter).

I'm looking for something I can attach to the wood pole that supports the antennas, that is, to fit in a small cabinet that will attach to the pole. I'm OK with assembling this from parts rather than some kind of turn-key kit but the simplicity of a kit would be great because I'll be doing this as part of a big project and there's a lot on the plate while the project is in process.

I'd be interested in hearing from folks who might have done something like this -- it's much lower power requirement than a solar powered transmitter or translator site but it needs to be reliable (STL). I envision a deep cycle battery connected to the charger/inverter, or other battery technology that makes sense.

The panel would have a nice south exposure maybe fifteen feet up the pole, but the cabinet would be sheltered much of the day as it would go below the roof level of a very nearby adjacent building. That means not much roasting in the summer but we do get to -25F in the winter so if anybody has some real-world experience with battery technology for this I'd be grateful for the input.

Trenching power to this location would be very costly so I think doing our own solar might just be a great self-contained alternative.

Thanks for any real-world experience you can share.

Mark

--
Mark W. Croom
Riverfront Communications, LLC