Re: Cameron about Nicom or PSI
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Cameron about Nicom or PSI
From: Dave Obergoenner <daveobergoenner@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 11:30:47 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=KPDy6WzmhV8UK/dpHNxxi4U1k22igL5riROn4N9rAzI=; b=tF9us+mD1FwRuaG5EEDIlgn9qC4V4K+VzYZI7+xpX1+SpkEj8q1vF4fr9bNJlYt0p5 suwu0M8wOAE6krJdadFSgtGe7nddybPOknxAIRmXk1mjxfae5maqoHNqIlv+q3Jjkakp qSULZHWwjGKtMPHuDYBnR3hM484WH4vzrXWXs2LlkAaAkwS/ubvnBe4300CPUgyFm12q Vn2OQjDoelfKcCsQcOnngY1fiFfRV3tmxcdEVmH6gL345uPpZQqVr7bu/kOy+zlkCsU7 CEVOq1pRQUVqge5kmtTgcwzVc6+sQXMpJ6pdxBlWbs3nsYYsXBFCgol39YgQNedZ4w6p 5Jnw==
I have several of the Nicom's in service at various locations.
The first went up almost 10 years ago.  The first unit they sent us had very high SWR at 107.9, our operating frequency.  They sent a replacement, and it has worked very well for all these years.  The others are a few years newer, but again, they have been no problem.

That "fist-sized" radome (actually more like two fists) covers the gamma match feed-point, which is were that antenna design is the most sensitive to ice.  We use them on all of our BKG-77's, and have very little increase in SWR with ice.  It does the job.  Don't order one without it if you are in an area that gets any ice.  It also protects that critical point of the antenna from corrosion.  So, I'd suggest it for everyone.

I've swept all of ours when they went up.  I'd say most of them actually looked pretty decent at the low end of the band.  They generally look better down there than they do up above 105.5 mhz.

Since they are aluminum, they are also very light.  That's been a concern for us at a couple of sites where the towers were nearly maxed-out.

I wouldn't hesitate to put up more of them.

Dave O.