RE: Operation Logs
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Operation Logs
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 21:55:49 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Over 20 years ago, when the rules were first relaxed on this, our KCRO then-Chief Engineer/Operator developed a weekly sheet, on which all of the elements required are present.  It has places to check off the required things (plus a very few extras), and lines on which to write the required EAS items for the week.  We used to also attach the paper tape from the EAS receiver but there is no paper tape anymore.  We do now include the print out of the Sage log.  Our ABIP inspector gave it his seal of approval.  He even said he would recommend it to others; don't know if that happened or not.

Tower lights were a check-off unless there is something to report (outages/quarterly inspections, etc.).

Since KCRO was a daytime-only with PSRA/PSSA operation at that time, there was a sign-off and sign-on involved.  Technically - and I think this is still the case for stations that sign-off - the EAS receivers and ENDEC are to be checked before sign-on to be sure there isn't a national alert going on before signing on.  There was an entry on the daily log for this and a check-off line on the weekly inspection sheet.  The station has been 24 hours since 2003 so that isn't necessary anymore.

I do miss being on call 15/7 instead of 24/7.

Mike in Omaha