Re: Operation Logs
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Operation Logs
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 16:27:02 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=mLrCmai1BmOacm1KikZj61gIeYbj3KfL3wzNdok/yoE=; b=AWJyaQ41n+vj3oINPuHMU4+b1SmwZ+l/OmR1+km82FUx8LvIHKtcSoagnvTlaPtcAG w48gJg6Ilgbz0smjt3ol6GKKcJsAXuQJC08w+TrPb5rbXGEttUL8sWrvXBwrVskxCghn hVGVbLkiuRG7LpXOBoyn0c6OhrR8u9SFVISzwdSoBRSt4i76S3ITkWuWjXl9owjYCLEB DlDVLFro1sycBZGcZD7fY/xqJDnKPq8LjwQ1sCfisToJRCAdGF+2k7pfuqE+Ul8n5s50 sYVLb5uV7+USoAQbDpDto/2qcCYvPqfhGCgNwcKAwuDh4ws8Ttna8VZV4l1kUp6utHVZ OE3A==
Most stations that I inspect log readings once a day, if at all.

I consider that adequate as long as they are staying on top of any issues.

Since a properly configured remote monitor and control system will notify them if the station is out of compliance, that should be adequate. Not ideal, but adequate.

In your case, Tom, you might consider a single page weekly log where you take, say, the 9AM reading (and maybe the 10PM if you are a DA2), and transfer those to a single sheet that is your official log. Attach the EAS printout to that if you are printing those, and call it good. Sign off on that transferred data and let the originals go. Maybe there too many towers in the array to make that practical but most stations I have been in are under four towers and can make it work on one sheet a week.

Keep it practical, while staying on top of your stuff. You don't have to keep all 17 pages a week of automated printouts. I view that as YOUR information you are able to keep or destroy at will, as long as you have some record that your station has been operating within licensed parameters, and are able to show me that you stay on top of it. Remember you're only required to have a minimum of items in the station's official log, and transmitter readings are not really required. EAS tests and tower light anomalies are the only things absolutely required (bare minimum) to be on there, plus your weekly review. I like to see at least one set of transmitter readings a day but I can't really ding anybody who doesn't, if they can show me they have a way to stay on top of things.

Many of the stations I inspect are printing the weekly Sage log and just signing off on that. If there is a problem with either a missing EAS test of a tower lighting anomaly, they just write it in on there, initial it, and then sign and date the finished product.

Many ways of accomplishing the same thing.

Mark
MN