Re: Vinyl to outlast CDs? (Compression +/-)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Vinyl to outlast CDs? (Compression +/-)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 11:44:13 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=wsCyWRzL/8uMNuf6OyXy2xBfd6pu1LXBn8hgY58RtXU=; b=kCLFrCpUaoLjAjniH2miiU4rfi82KXQ//jwsCPMsLzEQGyz5dzeMZ/GMWXkJN2NdIK vEPSZiPpCOjitgnJSS4bmnxVl2x6zLUjp+rPJQSNOTqRQBBO9zwrPSz4nuH4XGI39KIT 1QJenfYWnJRzyA5bO5tkIp7mD0wlBi4CC40gnt2Q/KVQCUF0uuw1tFfi9NUgy0t1V7m/ yb7BRT//KRejOJ3c+6AfwObkAGBaT8HAkEWaVch29y5UkhFAWd6V/+AbZ/hZwklXRhS4 4lmNxDNetTMALinJajY20//yZhTDJ0nzP6mvmYg9DYZpmtd2RPQCrPxNGB1FkV3FKBD5 FHfw==
We Broadcasters can still get uncompressed audio from distributors, like the PlayMPE Service, and others. I believe the compression used by sources like Amazon and iTunes is available in "high res" like 256 or 320Kbps or better for a slightly higher price.

I don't know if they offer lossless compression like FLAC or not, tho, as I haven't looked for it.

Obviously, uncompressed is best, but at 256K MP3 the losses are so minimal, that a single compress/decompress to WAV cycle is so close to "never compressed" as to be insignificant. Keep it WAV after purchase, and you're good to go. :)

256K is also good to save space when ARCHIVING audio for posterity. :) (Or for off-site/online backup.)

Willie...