Adjusting audio Volume levels on XDS-PROQ satellite receivers
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Adjusting audio Volume levels on XDS-PROQ satellite receivers
From: David Woodworth <David.Woodworth@moody.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 15:32:44 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=moodybibleinstitute.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-moody-edu; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=pQVsyFIQeNbnNj44cmXoSTlNunbKjmpjKpHjCDKUFos=; b=fkWSrwQEQVwFUeht21n5a64zYUGRAi2gx2ohx+v0c97IZQ3yqSLzme+pHHkDAojJptLUV3ZA3UELrap8VLqzcKbIJMtqFa9XH1Q+tdcw0KfEmeMTaDCB2UIfsm1TS819GAFMRmjASL/E3P4UCbHHcIlOFknTeF7KTib5rmo+quY=

I noticed a recent comment from a station who was unaware of how to adjust the audio volume output on the XDS satellite receivers.

Good news! There is a way for those stations with XDS-PROQ or XDS-PROR satellite receivers to change the audio volume output on the individual ports. However, it can only be done by sending the receiver an IRD command, which typically requires logging into the receiver using PuTTY in a Telnet session.

The XDS receivers have a factory default audio volume output of 255 on a 0 to 255 volume unit scale, where the 255 level is as loud as it can get, and which is approximately 17 dbu.

I have found for our unmanned Satellators feeding a Crown FM transmitter that an audio setting of 155 seems to be the “sweet spot” for not over-driving the transmitter and producing a good over the air sound. This is helpful for balancing the ports assigned to different network feeds in order to achieve a balanced audio level for all sources entering the audio air chain.

If anyone would like the instructions for adjusting your XDS satellite receiver audio volume, please contact me off-list, and I can send you a PDF with detailed instructions.

My direct e-mail is david.woodworth@moody.edu.

Thanks!

Logo for Labels

David P. Woodworth
Network Affiliate Support Coordinator  |  Radio Operations
(312) 329-4435

(312) 259-9383 (mobile)

(800) 621-7031 (toll-free)

(312) 329-4468 (fax)