Re: FCC Dish Registration
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: FCC Dish Registration
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 10:25:36 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=dHfF6BqMRvbIxK9ROg5WsVh8q0LYgDjkfvZxtvqcJl0=; b=PxbTOq40KG1YDBUBQ8QenT18UPRXWA392BBW5rN+5Y5QukvgXWJADuo46cUJtIPaeq Q0iRcAaewGTCb6Oal5iF5TmsUrU4ai9oQd9i0R72RVclilP2EOyoCOWvXgXKo2dwOEON 3maiSj0QFwMnOv1tf5sAg47cFJmPOVY3UP3HO7PKJjALI8/ZZXdziWHJX+usCTNjTUmg SHAcMNlSnAcIVU+zT9P9tch+EDKeVWfPPhu+Mt8F0HA9a3h3EU18nFQSUARsfjO48/BU SxKhXbds5tFwp0Sv1cRt5+UP7pgrU4X7eZIFM62HMUQpHlr+I0a9/Nti23P6su84q6vn G6Kw==
Hello Joel,

I am open to correction here, but I think the bigger concern for you with registration may be two-degree compliance. Smaller dishes often don't meet the requirement to have adequate rejection of adjacent signals beyond a two-degree aperture. I am not sure you can register a non-compliant dish.

As the others have stated here, registration is optional, but the purpose is to help support the guys like Mark Johnson who are working hard with the FCC to minimize the damage the terrestrial re-allocation proposal might cause to the fixed earth station services upon which our stations depend. The idea is that if we have fifteen thousand earth stations registered instead of the fifteen hundred or so that were in the database when this hullabaloo all started, it might help make the case that the band is not as under-utilized as the terrestrial proponents are claiming.

It seems apparent the Chairman is hot to do some kind of expansion here, which puts us in a tough spot. TV guys have already watched some of their BAS frequencies get swallowed up by other services, not to mention the re-allocation of UHF channels that have basically just gone away from television service. We haven't seen much of this affecting us directly in radio, but here it is, something that affects all but a tiny percentage of end-users, putting content providers in the position of having to potentially scramble to continue uninterrupted service.

I'm extremely concerned about how this proposed change will shake out. The proponents think the whole band is under-utilized, but even the idea of giving 100 Mhz away to other services is something I am very unhappy about. It doesn't take much terrestrial interference to wipe out satellite reception (been there, done that, bought the filters that still weren't enough).

Mark
MN