Re: my embarrassing story [off topic]
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: my embarrassing story [off topic]
From: Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 05:28:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=MPvji5lFNmwBprgKyJEpK5sQnWAU29bfYpA7EvS3IaM=; b=V2g5TLvgKIOdEd10cVq3js/OEfFZ0ertN8VTYO8GykfdZo8/oPWF3Tje1PGXA+wUmS SSgvAlhfjiSO2dGCO2WAdj70+7eGldd92avHkXvRm3BGk6F8SpH9OqfRGHhbE9c5mkZH WRgiN2yJd0znX/Y9jrncDLS3tfjOnkz5g4Xcjq8KE92y0WzwO4g5kMXDYeLyvRuK76rF /qaZ/RtQ///URNKb7tTcZhmzdbUs9M0XjKAWqetLwH5ZX1Fxdy/dZJpsrN1mVFSZkdWv mMd5iaG3oUUKwxSJzELhkriQZ0eMa4HvXtxBOr/4+/I1wF/+qAQjNORsXd8S4X3oC4Hp /YYA==
References: <CACci8U7N+pTj6cM_Ug9Rj+v_7F2eGO_2JQ7TtnERBSnXp=exSQ@mail.gmail.com> <4C1B6862-37FB-4A29-A87A-C04A6571AD5E@ieee.org> <44EF28D8-70EE-43DF-86AF-FF4AA19EC70B@unwsp.edu> <36D5EE9A-962A-4344-9468-6FB1401D92F0@unwsp.edu> <CAHL64sExpc61OmrpMpd4o4xABgW1UySdVHfGHiE2HAJi3NS7cQ@mail.gmail.com> <BYAPR07MB44232FBC647AC6E24AE252EBD3700@BYAPR07MB4423.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <CAE10cw-UxtPDXBKnX2K4acrDs+ey=efDUYTLFkcrmPAGXY7TAQ@mail.gmail.com>
I had been working at an HF facility for about a month and just learning the equipment. We had two nearly identical  racks of Collins exciters on opposite sides of the room. The rack I had been trained on was powered by 28 VDC. The power distribution at the top of the rack had white and black wires, white being +28 VDC and black being ground. One day I was tasked with an issue on the other exciter rack. Hooking up my test equipment, I connected a test lead to the black wire, expecting ground. At that moment, I learned that rack was powered by 120VAC. Naturally, in that case, black was hot 120VAC and white was neutral. After the smoke cleared and I was picked up off the floor, I fabricated plastic covers for the terminal strips and put prominent signage in the racks indicating the flavor of primary power.

My reputation for this style of "seat of the pants" (where I often ended up) learning got around and several years later I got transferred to be an instructor at the advanced electronics school, teaching maintenance on that system.

Michael