RE: Transmitter Suggestions
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Transmitter Suggestions
From: "Ron Huckeby" <huckebyrj@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:25:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :thread-index:content-language; bh=laFy5Gze0chrIYMA03MaMQi6kLCpwLcCHgcVi0luZiE=; b=h8PxswlO+XDfAHy8V+PRYOBjs52IWDiu9LyAD4XewGfCGNctag0MZUk5UWGcFFtA6v krTewK4m+Up6lyFae1tP6iZUJx7hs3krnnw1NAF7DeOSwnuh/KmE0tbgoIdeyT8exsxk ijqnREmqudGD8+OF4UHgTecmc6XYlHLJtiIMW/D7GhiTrGZX6Mvy73QaxhCHsaeSTC/L 4k51Z1F1FnQO3KlM3zz8yOc+rYh2GWGnPZrjSMNBnRvccVt00nsW9H3q4C1qOGSPX3aM U1PjUZHwCruHMmRTnFrwUz1204ilMoSQcF2KbhFQ/KbwyGq0Pnkv4T0SFZf7I1JyFuLI z1wQ==

Ford vs. Chevy or Ram.

I have installed several Nautel transmitters and had very few failures, other than the GV-12 running FM+HD at 7000 feet AMSL which had power supply problems until Nautel got that issue worked out.

I have several Gates Air Flexivas out as well. One FAX-3 has lost 2 power amplifier modules over 3 years. Another FAX-3 that isn’t quite 2 years old in an air conditioned building not on a mountain top just lost half of a MOSFET device in a PA module. Today I learned that the Gates Air warranty is only 15 months…

A Nautel VS-1 that had been in service for 4 years and 3 months had a “soft failure” of a power supply (it wouldn’t do full power without shutting down). Nautel warrantied it even though it was 3 months beyond the 4 years.

That said, if warranty is important, Nautel beats Gates Air. The Gates Air is more compact that the Nautel on the smaller transmitters. I really liked putting the FAX-3 in the rack (without power supplies) by myself. It replaced a 700 pound FM-3H3.

Our BE STX-1 (first generation) has been disappointing. Two control power supply failures in 4 years seems ridiculous in an air conditioned building.

SCMS, Inc. has a deal on FAX-3s that is hard to beat for price if that is the size you need.

My 2 cents worth…

Ron Huckeby, CBRE

Broadcast Engineer

Butte, Montana