Re: Transmitter Suggestions
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Transmitter Suggestions
From: Alex McKenzie <alex@kprd.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:16:12 -0500
85% will tell you Nautel right away.... However, I have been exceedingly pleased with the GatesAir Flexiva line. Just my personal experience, but I've installed 7 Gates FAX series transmitters in the last 5 years with no major repairs or glitches from any of them. I have a 3.5k all the way up to a 30k.  I'm a very happy customer! We'll be buying another 10k next month, to make 8! In that same 5 year span the single Nautel I bought I've replaced many PAs, Power Supplies, Motherboard, Front Panel screen. I also had to do a similar power contactor remote reboot relay thing for my Nautel for a year before they updated the firmware and fixed the glitch, that shouldn't be an issue any more, though.

All that to say that though the masses will suggest Nautel, I wouldn't be hesitant to go Gates, in fact with my experience, I'd strognly prefer Gates. Not just out of blind brand loyalty, but actually having both in the field and comparing results.

Best,
Alex

Alex McKenzie
Chief Engineer