Fwd: Re: Can you run a Nautel Xmtr at 110%?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Can you run a Nautel Xmtr at 110%?
From: Jim McDermott <jim@spiritfm.org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 10:00:36 -0500

I have been running two older Nautel FM-5 transmitters for over 10 years at 5400 - 5600 watts and have never had a problem.

--
Jim McDermott
President, Lake Area Educ Broadcasting

Lake of the Ozarks, MO
www.spiritfm.org -- www.pulsechannel.org

On 5/9/2018 9:44 AM, nathaniel.steele@icloud.com wrote:

IF Nautel says it will do 5500W, then it should be fine, a transmitter isn’t a car, in other words, a transmitter runs at a set power level 100% of the time, it’s not stopping at red lights, or going up or down hills……so if the manufacturer says it will do 5500W, it would be used at 5500W full time.

That said my inclination would be to go to the next bigger transmitter, which I think is a 7.5. That way When an RF module fails, you stand a better chance of making (closer to) licensed power while it gets repaired.

Now the better question is, what is your licensed ERP, how much and what size transmission line, type of antenna, and any filters. In other words Have you calculated how much transmitter you need? This statement makes me wonder “Management wants to run it a full output for a max ERP.” Because MAX ERP is your LISCENSED ERP.