RE: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
From: "Jeff Heins" <jlheins0001@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:52:41 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :thread-index:content-language; bh=/yXA/O09UffFsN56xrLXkgI675MHWTYE6EHtuapjwxU=; b=eLce8BsYgoL4IrXEntV4HCuf+lCgO1a4Gb7Nf1ntzn/lYcNEzDvoAcriNlDFub/OJU Oh5zz4pX09Vo2OGdx2H1prsMO20WaZlS1a6gKHl5wcPmt628iaAnTpQ88RHljB31rpXh OiyuVrkGx04cBTck4EGszW8OpHAQrvN1FgmLLmKCbDxPUH6YNoH+7piyliS3F+NPG2A3 ADv1LDU5shWpDCmhFCQ/z5rAX5IVCPpyhoINI7qnYzdgL5j4TWecd8gioFIk0GDNo4RD aD8cga4VfAwMaGqV3Cj4j4tCtcb143UdDFoA4yZ8CblfIazL9+iaLIAeA0hI3yRdIZa6 Kanw==

Report IT , if I recall correctly, comes with a license for up to 10 users. I believe that you can have the app on more devices, just limited to 10 simultaneous ones. It works through their “TieServer” which is what takes the annual subscription. The Tie Server lets you configure user logins for your staff, so they have an individual login to the system. With that you can enforce which of your codecs they can connect to, what their default codec is, default bitrate, etc. You can also disable a username/access, if you should have an employee leave, for instance.

We’ve done several morning show cohost type remotes with ReportIT on an iPad on wifi in Nicaragua. Other than some ISP hiccups there, it worked great. Have also used it for cut in’s from outside a concert venue a few times, and a few times when a morning host needed to be out of his normal studio setup (normally a G3 in his home studio) due to construction going on at his house. A local Catholic network does a limited amount of high school sports, primarily when it is a Catholic HS playing another Catholic HS. They have several volunteers doing the play by play, some with a small mixer, sometimes with just one person with a mic and headset, plugged into an iPhone.

The “free” version of the app is identical without the configuration server component. It’s also a pay as you use, with I believe a per minute cost when the codec is actually connected.

I believe they market the 10 user version for station employee’s/staff for remote broadcast or remote news reporting, etc., where the studio side codecs are owned/controlled by the company. You have to register each physical codec by mac address in the configuration server. You can have as many codecs you want available to connect to, but you have to have some access to them to configure the server.

The “free”/cost per minute version I think was envisioned for free-lance reporters etc, where they need to connect to studio codecs they or their company don’t control, so all they know is the connection IP address.

Since you have some Tieline equipment already, I’d suggest contacting Mary at BGS, or one of the other dealers that handle Tieline and have them arrange a demo of ReportIT. That’s what we did initially. We did make an investment in an “iRig” adapter when we did the demo, to give us an XLR mic input to the iPhone/iPad. We also now use a Shure lightning to XLR adapter. The Shure works better if you have a lightning “Y” adapter that lets you plug the Shure and a power cord into the iPhone/iPad.

Hope that helps!

Jeff Heins

My Bridge Radio Network

KRKR-KROA-KHZY-KPNY-KMBV-KSSH-KQIQ