RE: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
From: "Jeff Heins" <jlheins0001@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:22:44 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :thread-index:content-language; bh=y/03mpfO5kD04CbM/JPbTuioJJjJ33DcPZMV6z9V3UE=; b=IWWJwq58bKMmuxeHWA8ewgNRA1nV5MoZlknlasWtU9uYicBZ2igmE9vgIce2hM4cQu mze6iLqPHPaWhJ9M7VPakHTNTPC7+04huO7q/omyUBE93t5+xklK3MBJqBW9txJJcVg2 gBYAg/THtNIJN1AJAXSpTUmTwuyNjPAbOxyFzBf0p1VN5STQMy7FKkhhLsFifYelsDLk XExrbbHLCJ4NSuBjK3sro9N3ducfsBaeDjycMVT6Mwo5fOp7AGDjMwDl8T0DkjcEBy3b KghBFKlUgR85B7RPnd59TJdZv7SzIlbHvVhdXfvqVMcVrn2alUuXaq0Y4amU05o28epw qGrw==

We went with TieLine when we set up our new location because we have functioning legacy G3 units, so we didn’t have to replace “everything” just added on capacity.

Other than saying we had a demo unit for a while that handled the multiple mono feeds, no real world experience with it. We use BridgeIT’s at the new facility, studio G3 at the old and G3 remotes and/or the ReportIT iDevice/Android app off site. They all play well together.

At our new facility, we’re an Axia installation, with a VX Prime. I’m interfacing the BridgeIT’s with Axia via AES in/out. It just works.

I built an Asterisk flavor phone system, that handles the VX and the office extensions, SIP trunks and off site extensions. You can connect a SIP extension on asterisk to the BridgeIT, and “call” a VX extension that way, not sure about registering an external BridgeIT directly to a VX – never tried. BridgeIT to asterisk and asterisk to VX is easy, and would run at a G.722 quality level, so “VoIP HD Quality” – better than pots, sound really good actually.

Depending on how homebrew you want to go, you could use a laptop and a mackie type mixer at the remote, with a VoIP softphone app running G.722 and connecting to the asterisk/VX. That would eliminate a hardware codec box at the remote site – which may or may not be good, depending on the remote talent. An alternative to that would to use a VoIP desk phone and take the headset audio in/out to your mixer and headphone amp. You’ll have to play around with pads and levels probably but the phones themselves are “4 wire” so you don’t need a hybrid in play.

I will throw out a caution, to get asterisk to work with remote extensions without putting a VPN in the mix, you have to expose things to the open internet. If you do it right, things work great. Do it wrong, and you’re open to hacking and abuse and international hacked calls, etc. If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t expose the thing to the world without help from someone that does.

Jeff Heins

My Bridge Radio Network

KRKR-KROA-KHZY-KPNY-KMBV-KSSH-KQIQ