Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
To: 'CRTech' <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
From: nathaniel.steele@icloud.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:55:09 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=icloud.com; s=04042017; t=1524502514; bh=zGkcuuvo8+9+xoBhW1ROujHz+9j069RCeT/WcypD48A=; h=From:To:Subject:Date:Message-id:MIME-version:Content-type; b=vxiUAceyeAOFStqdSwWxadnFyFRVIpInoCO0EDFqWpZKoKsSdJkbstlD4oUCtotoj cFiqnAbZAYHG2OwDVbSsnvRCjt9g2VzaOFqRMD89cutdlo0NlANLUTD5c7iuQzrl/K 8l3lX5kcbi1i8TBEn+BchI6XeYIv0IXAG9TYa7vGMaoop2pw8RcW3h16smhw2UnJ88 W/yPn6aMoOMR9a0luHGd1yHvJ1aUS5XDnEBGqklq1hxbn0ry1LNrQsXiMVH/Ef0Gsj j2rR4gMG9hoRtMKT4xco8Dmp5udxN6ryENE0p9/piEN8ysD+HoqyYEU42iztmFMXFn dLX0TUvzCWVEA==

I’ve been asked to investigate remote gear, It looks to me like I can choose between Tieline and comrex or some smartphone app based solutions. For now lets discuss just the first two.

I’d like some thing self contained, at least two mics, an optional expander is a bonus but I could just as easily add a small mackie mixer. It Seems like both companies offer solutions that meet this criteria.

Variety of connection options with fallback. Again, both companies seem capable of this

We have four stations so I might eventually have 4 remote units. Comrex looks like I’d need four station units to do four simultaneous remotes (which could actually happen at times) Tieline has a “studio” unit that can accept six mono inbound connections. There are pro’s and cons to each, basically cost vs all eggs in one basket.

We do sports remotes on two stations for TTU, they have an older Tieline G3 system, which belongs to them, it would still work with a new tieline system. Currently the two studio units have issues, one wont connect via IP, one won’t work on POTs(which is backup only, I use a Gentner DH20 instead if we need POTs) these tieline G3’s belong to TTU.

So 2 ties, a toss up (cost vs redundancy) and a win for tieline.

Anyone have anything to say, like or dislike, about the two.

Also I am hoping to get a Telos VX phone system, both comrex and tieline are SIP compatible, would I be able to “Call In” to the telos and not need an Access rack or Merlin at the studio? With better than analog phone quality?

Thanks, I haven’t done much with remote gear in the past, it was always a record and email situation…..

Follow-Ups: RE: Remote Codecs, Comrex vs Tieline vs ??
("Jeff Heins" <jlheins0001@gmail.com>, 23 Apr 2018 17:22:53 -0000)