RE: Remote Broadcasts
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Remote Broadcasts
From: Bob Morris <Bobmorris54@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:36:37 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=outlook.com; s=selector1; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=hDywyYHd3gSAcXz8srapLlHBPKK0yyfPFbeYMYs4YxI=; b=WbGI9mJhfsvxiddfGB+1z/gWAO1YnlACJ/RnDHDy1ylALEPPnIM/nlcz5SFhcMNNOIWIDl0X/wcixB7VVl+6rlhbkXgIV8BfVtr4zUeZ+eTVe3sksx509oWQcg/7woB5gZW+LRWpLzmZ7Lk4TDNgl2IytEIdqRTMdCyC0ps8yn6xontgdp1CtdAKBKLTMdRuC7PxS8WlF4PBFWLJBnbQhK4PDOb478pp0G4b4oApXLXsIZ+HXo+S0eGcVRQ5zFfWeDfR7Pnarru+HtBYrYtwGpfdj+ayQRHqXtKjw0c+K2VHK6Zd2BYZu3xUs82RJtZF4JXQne1xYzuhNGhk6El/Hg==

Rick et.al.:

At Faith and Friends Radio (www.faithandfriendsradio.com, or www.ffradio.streamon.fm ), the way we handle remotes depends the several circumstances. Most often, I (engineer) do not go out on the remote (and yes, there have been a couple times when I really regretted that). Our typical setup is either a Bluepack (JK Audio) cell phone connection via a Telos unit in the station or a Barix Instreamer/Extreamer setup. In the Barix situation, we have a Cradlepoint MBR1000 router that works great with a Verizon modem (Novatel U551). This establishes our connection to the internet. Our Barix connects (wired) to this router. Our remote computer is a laptop connected either wired or wireless to the Cradlepoint router. We run Logmein on the on air machine back at the station and on the remote laptop and connect from the laptop to the on air that way. With Logmein, the remote team has full control over the on AudioVault Flex air machine as if they were sitting at the computer. Our Axia IQ system even gives us control over everything on the console via a browser link from the on air machine into the iQ COR itself. The only thing we cannot control remotely is the channel faders so we have to make sure all faders we might use are pulled up and ready.  We typically pull up more than one fader to have it ready just in case (and in one case, it was a good thing we did because the fader on the console suddenly developed ‘issues’ and we went over to another fader and kept going)

If we are doing a bluepack cell connection to the station, we still use the remote laptop to control the on air system in most cases.

About the only times we have someone at the console for a remote is if 1) our internet connection is weak and unreliable (we historically know where these locations are and we plan accordingly) or 2) our remote team is ‘on the move’ going from place to place and it is just not logistically feasible for them to set up a laptop to remote into the on air and control it. In this case we typically invoke the Bluepack cell phone option. The quality of the Bluepack-Cell connection is not as good as going through the Barix but it does get the job done.

So far these scenarios have worked well for us. One of these days if we’re financially blessed to do so, we’ll look into other more technically advanced solutions like the Zip One or one of the Comrex systems solutions.

That being said, if possible we always try to have someone available to make an emergency dash to the station if needed.

Bob Morris

Wells of Salvation Studio

Faith And Friends Radio (www.faithandfriendsradio.com)