Remote Broadcasts
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Remote Broadcasts
From: Rick Smith <rsmith@newlifemedia.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 14:52:25 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

Hey all!  It was nice meeting those of you that were at the NAB dinner last week!

I was hoping to ask this of those that were there, and just didn't get a chance, so I thought I'd throw it out here.  I have a station manager that wanted me to reach out to other stations and ask them about remote broadcasts... Specifically if you send an engineer any time you do a remote broadcast?

Now for some background.  We used to not send engineers for remote broadcasts but the talent was having issues with the cell connections and it became easier to send an engineer.  Now they are wanting a studioless remote (meaning control of automation and console at the remote event).  We have the technology to do this, however it makes the setup that much more complicated (not only remote codecs, but now computers to control automation and console).   I've already got the caveat, that while this may less us do it without some in the control room, we'll still want someone in the studio listening so that if the cell connection fails (especially after they pause the automation system), someone is there and listening to get us back on the air.

So with all that, I guess the questions I have are:

If you do remotes, are you only sending back remote audio, or do you have a full control system?

And then it would be helpful to know if you send an engineer out with the remote team?

Thanks for any information and insight!!

Rick Smith

Director of Technology/Weekend Host

WBGL . WCIC

o. 309.363.0200