Re: SEMI-TECH: Luddite-Tech ;)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: SEMI-TECH: Luddite-Tech ;)
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:34:36 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=NeAfmG6iE+YKLYmRU7lcDyr/6r4o2HXM++giv4+b7Qg=; b=XiWD5AC1D+22KqoXCAlhymXpDtjY10Kf01mwle3zn7tRWNUhpbNfyRIuNnS6uNEq8P H2Up0SozLtPtyuourNJlTmdsxMsLcQJ2X/jAKNFpf1vusB9OA+cC/WCjRTkHp6T49Ajy UnQmrGoWdwwgiU+ic1/hT/usc8X8V2QyIWh8lP9UVt/o/oLUtjsbAqFMfhpn2reNemUa XX1Fdi8mFMG6A8taiJRsaPgYoq1pGWickVDge0PjnrTgutMkfi6yHLjdIpWPHQqs/KO7 K2WfuLNOal86g6kLGY5PG6xzUC2/1Yb0YQ79/QV2oGtQj48fj8zd4XBCebK+7PbNY2yh DJVw==
I've never properly learned any programming languages or done any real programming like many of you guys. I played with Visual Basic for Windows some and actually did develop some crude code with a couple of controls, one for playing audio and another to monitor the game port for button presses. With those simple things I was able to develop an audio player module I could automate through the game port button inputs. In my primitive digital automation for our AM station I was recording files using batch files and a command line recorder utility that came with SoundBlaster cards. Then I played those files back with the VB player. Within eighteen months we were implementing full Wavestation systems and the clunky stuff that only did one thing was replaced with a complicated system that could start the morning coffee if you wanted it to do that.

However, thinking about old software and off-beat choices: When I arrived at my first full-time engineering gig, the station owner/GM had ordered some weird Amstrad 386 PCs and a whole bunch of his favorite software. I actually appreciated that he didn't want to pay premium prices for Microsoft Word (for DOS at that point) or other commercial software. So his word processor of choice was "Textra". It actually wasn't bad as DOS word processors went and we used our available printers to the limit with it. He used CA's SuperCalc spreadsheet instead of Excel. The company comptroller had some very large and complex spreadsheets working in SuperCalc. I never did get conversant with SC because I had Microsoft Works on my machine and its speadsheet was fine for the stuff I was doing and I could make it work fine. He also had a pile of utilities of various kinds -- I learned about Norton Utilities in that era and had a lot of fun with some of the pieces of it.

At the same site I installed a Novell Netware ELS system on ArcNet. Compsurf anyone? When the ArcNet coax cables were not terminated into the network cards they really bit you at the connector because the studio building was in the main lobe of a 5kW 3-tower inline directional. Metal sheetrock corners bit, as did file cabinet corners in that place, and the metal mini-binds sang Country songs along with the radio. Long cables like the one from the front office to sales really picked up signal.

And one of my first data conversion projects I did with the help of a guy at the HCJB Engineering Center. We used terminal software on a TRS-80 Model III and on one of those Amstrad PCs and converted all our company databases that were on TRS floppies to tab-delimited text then imported them into Alpha 4, a dBase compatible database manager. That was where I learned about null modem cables. I've done a ton of data conversions since then, but I had to start somewhere.

At the same station all the company's original tower lease documents were on a Commodore 64. I ended up just re-typing those and used the project to force myself to type properly without looking at the keyboard. I was a ten finger typist but always watched the keyboard before that, looking back and forth between whatever I was typing up and the keyboard. The project definitely cured me of that bad habit and I have used the skill almost daily ever since.

Thinking about the primitive stuff we did with our machines back then, I really appreciate the flexibility of what we use today.

Mark
MN