Re: NAB attendees, Antenna and transmitter?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: NAB attendees, Antenna and transmitter?
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 22:04:31 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=/t7KM8MWflz+NiDOienA59VTe0VLIQ3FvmuUwjuGTpM=; b=Hrr0GuytTU9mAmdUNE4O7fYEFofx7Lis7Gcq6QvysnR/6uWusoDTQ8Udly7sAIoTxH ogAasjWVeer8wZQUmvXuZR4fW18aW0Xg3mIfm06ACWyrcAYpZq0y//tMbitsi/fOVyXx LUb0IhbNPt3ayg9phBU2Fd5H85jENEC26xcEXjuI5/bkDdJ+JHxqaZ3nBgU/eL6tD1z2 sZJqesVOpmqaFLzED69WHejB++mxAqgLPccsnAoDlbUDgH6DtxSUa7tHeox/OMWXIZDw Hk/fk9MN7PW6DyEjKADJXQ+YDB79Hr6nb1KXpU6uutPkO+DdkWp1MTgXX2HN5GMPBlvi neeQ==
I worked with a station that put up a VersaTune to replace one of the Telecom TFC2K 2-bay crossed dipole CP antennas. Pretty sure we bought it from Bext.

The station was on 88.3 and when the old re-purposed QEI tube box was removed and a shiny new Nautel put in its place, the station saw just how bad the Nicom antenna is at the ends of the band. I had no network analyzer to test with so I just tuned up the transmitter into the "broadband" antenna using its tune/load controls. Turned out return loss is not so good at 88.3 when you really need a fifty ohm system. So the decision to replace it with a VersaTune was made. The station put them up and I believe just tuned the thing for minimum reflected power at the transmitter metering. Worked great for them. At my urging they bought the radomes and have (to the best of my knowledge) had zero problems with the system. I want to say the TPO is about 2.7kW maybe.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to use them again on low power systems if a client was interested.

I just installed my first BW transmitters, a couple of 600W V2 boxes on translators, so we're not pushing them. TPOs near 400 watts. So far, so good, but no track record yet.

Mark
MN