SEMI-TECH: Luddite-Tech ;)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: SEMI-TECH: Luddite-Tech ;)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:34:14 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=SKX3ZSu9X5esHBL1vlZus1c/PP3ZYIwyvepPHBfIVB8=; b=HGBYJw/NU7pAPAHP9VGcZmNAeywFd6e5vZ5KgnkhtU2NXxmEjHWO2DZmUk5mlxhSEQ r2rGFJzJV6IXCkMV68AFsW/luSTrSWudw49YA8jjfE5TzLv6SZFnKf1VizcmNHq5eRT0 MyalwCqmmWZ0FOCTRDN01tx3xUXmGjZzBYPGawXKbFACUCTBh6CwiLwr3Wjub+y2JwRJ GbQnDDxl3cwKWWf7QDsh7UOzIIUbpB/fgTS2c2jnrJ5F+AM8mmtCUwehDutxdUH4v9v4 oRLE7Vf2+pc4J25JlUZYSD+IJ7dXB3cXJuWKSTgvfLunllXVNGppXsZvVXg6KwwM4nI+ jXUg==
Ha!! :D

There actually was a time (early 90's) when I set up a RAM drive & special folder under DOS, on a 286 WIN3.1 system, so that I could run WordStar! (WS crashed because the 32 *MEG* partition of the HD was too large for it! LOL!) The RAM drive was 512K, and it was happy in its little sandbox. ;) Some clever BATCH programming would open the RAM drive, copy the WS files from the HD folder into it, then open WS. I could open/edit/save documents all day... then when I'd exit WS, the BATCH would copy everything from the RAM drive to the HD, and close out. It worked flawlessly for a number of years. :)

We did eventually transition to a better system, of course, but that was a nice "stop-gap" that allowed me to get a LOT of work done during the interim. :)

Currently, I have some GWBASIC programs running in "DOSBOX" windows under XP, to handle some specialized tasks! One involving a legacy piece of equipment, and another involving an Internet system. The Internet-involved system actually has TWO DOSBOX windows open, running different BASIC programs, working in tandem... and has been doing so flawlessly, for several years, now. :)

So... you may laugh, but SOMETIMES there actually *ARE* valid reasons to keep some legacy stuff going for... quite a while. ;) (Not candlepower, tho! Ha. ha.)

BTW, None of the above involve floppies. ;)

Willie...