RE: Wireless Mice and Keyboards
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Wireless Mice and Keyboards
From: "Gullikson, Brian F" <bfgullikson@unwsp.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 16:29:40 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Logitech.  Hands down the best I've dealt with.  Very few connection issues, and folks seem to like them.  Nice long battery life too.  Be aware of "multimedia" keys on these keyboards.  I've had more than one instance of people muting the on-air sound card by accidentally hitting the "mute" key on the keyboard.  In the same vein, I've had computers put to sleep because someone accidentally hit the "sleep" key on the keyboard.  The sleep problem can be mitigated by the "Power" control panel settings, and setting the "sleep key" to "do nothing".  I know of no way around the "mute" button problem, other than training people to be mindful of it.

Now. here's the kicker - if you make certain that the keyboard and mouse you buy are compatible with, and include their "unifying" receivers, you can pair both the keyboard and mouse to a single USB dongle.

If you get some of their cheaper combo sets, like the MK270, they will come with a single receiver, but it's NOT the unifying one, and if you lose the receiver, the keyboard and mouse are both useless because they're not compatible with a unifying receiver, OR any of the other ones.  They're paired to their included receiver for life and that's all you get.

If your device is compatible with the unifying technology, it will have the unifying logo somewhere on it - which is a 6-pointed star within a square-ish border.  Sometimes it's a black star with an orange background in the square.  Pretty easy to identify.  I've attached small pictures to illustrate.

With unifying technology, if you lose the receiver, you buy another one on amazon or wherever, install Logitech's unifying software, and re-pair your mouse and keyboard to the new receiver.  OR. if a mouse or keyboard breaks, you can replace it with another unifying model, and pair it with the existing unifying receiver.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Gullikson, CBRE               98.5 KTIS-FM | Faith 900 KTIS
                                            Life 97.3 KDNW | Faith 90.5 KDNI
Chief Engineer		            3003 Snelling Ave. North
KTIS, KDNW, KDNI                                       St. Paul, MN  55113