Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
To: crtech@crtech.org
Subject: Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
From: Andy Larsen <andy@whwl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 08:54:45 -0400
Ditto to this. Our main station has a 12-bay ERI. All of our Class-A stations and translators use Shively antennas. Most are the 6812 one or two-bay model. The only problem we have had was the coax between the bays wore through and failed after over 20 years of service. When it was replaced, I believe the piece that was cut was the wrong length; because the coax length is critical to the tuning, we couldn't get acceptable SWR--same issue we were having with the worn piece, which led us to believe it was an antenna problem. We replaced it with the Versa2une, which  has been performing extremely well, with imperceptible reflected power.

More info on our 6812 coax problem for anyone interested in continuing to read...could be useful if you ever have to replace the coax. :)

So the configuration of the 6812 (ours anyway) is a bottom-fed antenna, and the inter-connect between the two bays is a piece of coax cut to a specific frequency-dependent length. The length and the method of wrap of the excess coax around the mast are integral to the tuning of the antenna. The early multi-bay antennas had 10-inch stubs feeding each bay off a "T" connector, including the top bay, but replacing the T with a barrel connector for the top bay. This allowed all the inner-connecting coax to be the same length. Later models just cut a longer piece for the top bay, eliminating the barrel and the jumper. When we had the replacement coax cut, we were looking at a later blueprint, and cut the coax to length and sent it up the tower. We could never get full power with acceptable reflected power, so ordered a replacement antenna, believing that the problem was in the antenna. Once the antenna came down, I discovered that the climber had replaced the coax, but left the ten-inch stub in place attached to the top bay, while we didn't realize that the stub was there. This made the coax 10" too long for our frequency. I suspect the antenna was probably actually good, and that had we had the correct length of coax (eliminating the extra 10" in-line jumper) it would have worked just fine. I still have the antenna, but have not had the need to test this. Either way, the antenna worked beautifully for over 20 years before the coax failed.

Andy