Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:56:04 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=VRAD4mL7D68xqvuZ1B2NxVJyNtqmm06Ljmo45GsgvOI=; b=siTBmkelqEmz7Mba64djMeJVkBJvJSU7d36vb/hGq7WTf8KHXcL2aUreL003fklHUU AowO4PQJbXynjy3bwArusANAUJ9EsoaT3l/urxlS0WLnp0CJoL4vPnH/p7WVxIx6MN5f puGNa40nzZ/X77/1rr8FXouw2IKluQXsvvPZpD3fcet7mPU7LRms446/8yYGuYYFQjmS 1AnDIdP0+6sZ8BmpGgKnxFVNfH1V1xe98sZvmRZ7N7+pe7XI0iPYwOaW+hMb4RdpuVMm zr2wE6p4Ot+9/J+xffa0Atmwaa31ae9lx80crKS132AGqixVZjnsFJGNMxKVOKtjCII/ 9Lzw==
I am with Kevin and some of the other posters here, the low-power Shively antennas are useless in the Winter without radomes. I know there is icing even in North Texas at times so I would be thinking about icing performance. I was peripherally connected with a site where we replaced a Bext (Telecom) two-bay circular polarized antenna with a Versa2ne or whatever Shively calls it, using the bathtub radomes.

That went up very nicely, was tunable to pretty nice reflected power, and to the best of my knowledge has been working well. If you're looking for a non-pressurized antenna I think it might be a good choice.

Others have mentioned the Nicom (and Bext) unpressurized cross-arm antennas are fairly broadband but at the band edges, not so much. Especially down low (which was the issue at the site where we installed the Shively (88.3 I think). The old tube transmitter could be tuned around the antenna's issues, the new Nautel they replaced it with, not so much. So the Shively went in and everything got better.

You are in a different class of antenna when you buy an ERI, because they will likely be designed for pressurization and will be best with air dielectric line, pressurized. You are likely to get the best longevity, and my experience is that you still get the best coverage with the ERI rototiller design, but there are ongoing costs involved.

I think, at 4kW ERP, that I would prefer a medium power ERI antenna and a pressurized feed system.

More random thoughts from another random field guy.

Mark
MN