Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:57:18 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=wTv/NjWsP/mZws+zaRbmUGGrt/exf9mPB6mLsW8EeFY=; b=D0SgPUcDjy2SuEDDOUZAGm6skYqM0HIIngjQ6V46zpU+uC7xNznidNlM672VZIm4Q/ EhulcsFsOXSUHVnX2sTttXFvDNUGiuZ2m0Hiqsp0YxjzDp80rfSJ6JyurcivsXVV7D3A IZT3tmW5sHKuq1T11SwN7LHHweYaCMwhFX/dMJW0tvJbpa2Uw9ipQ3x6Re5qrpipeVDh PKVJQaKx3De2pd7iuthp0CAAZG9hWYi8QLBJ0eBUVtcWcykn3w0qUx7bNrNJnI6VS9SW OjiYAFXEx1WflWCVNupfWlvcaakOTrLA/dOqGH2zDPV528pVUaZswaDNDVx7cvS/xGKo lWNQ==
Although I am no fan of Shively lower power products, but have also been very pleasantly surprised with a 4 bay VersaTune that a Class A client had installed purely because it was all the tower would support.

For a full power station, I would stay away from the Nicom, Bext, OMB, etc and go with ERI or Dielectric or even SWR.  I think that you will really be pushing some of the small antenna's with that amount of per/bay power.

I always advocate for a pattern study if the station can afford it.  I can't count the number of FM antenna's that I have found that were mounted in the singularly worst place that could be found.  Replacing the antenna AND positioning it according to a reputable pattern study has improved coverage in almost every case.

Good luck,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346
www.amgroundsystems.com

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com> wrote:

been installing the "Versa2une" by Shively. Comes in a kit, quality
heavy stainless, easy to put together and you tune it yourself to any

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Dave Land <dave@klvv.com> wrote:
> We're looking at putting in a new FM station soon. I'm wondering what folks
> prefer for transmit antennas on a budget! This will be a 6,000 ERP station
> with about 4,000 TPO so a 4 bay antenna. We're looking at - BEXT,
> Dielectric, ERI, Jampro, Nicom, PSI, Shively, & SWR. Which do you prefer and

Follow-Ups: Re: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
(Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>, 4 Apr 2018 00:59:22 -0000)