RE: RE: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: RE: What do you recommend for FM transmitter antennas?
From: "Ron Huckeby" <huckebyrj@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:40:33 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :content-language:thread-index; bh=zhWdH08kb/e/DJCEOJHQx3SzIlpZclTq8604rRrhdpU=; b=o4jrsYch3YdJBpidHa1TUseO4OyR8QniMyHdrvPne8jOMHUwWtkOledMKpHRNYwpBB d4YhmGGpatb/DJ2h2bc8vJpD24Jg389MlRBFhQ052k6JpptIb8v4yum60K0w8XM54V7J VNBIl9pJgi2fYRFR1Yu84a+vAr2pgk6iDGgtyuI6VHKD5JNpgrTB23IbN0wLoQ3X0Won jxPutV1vBaSa2JUuk1dPbFYJEdSke0bR8nIh2teOa1pgHBOI8pPtJbEhPNDnxq/Ecu2+ d3D2L7ovkeFXZb+6MCTBygcZP6Tpz9gyPCzQy0tu/KfPZ7hhE35yZx7YC2mhlyuS5DK9 Md2A==

Dave:

I see KLVV is in Oklahoma City. I presume your new station isn’t going to be further north, but if it is, and antenna icing is an occasional consideration, a high power ERI Rototiller is the way to go. Even without radomes, the 3 inch diameter radiating elements do not detune nearly as quickly as a Jampro Penetrator when covered with ice.

A medium power ERI Rototiller is a good choice as well, but they will bend with heavy icing. I have one that has been on the tower in extreme northeastern Montana since the early 80’s at 2 kW input, now 4 kW input, still very little reflected power, still holding pressure well. That site does not get icing like the mountain tops in western Montana. K-Love has an ERI medium power 2 bay 2 station combined antenna with radomes on TV Mountain near Missoula, Montana that has survived a few winters with heavy icing. Time will tell.

I won’t put up a Shively without radomes. The heaters do not protect the feed straps and they go out ouf tune quickly. I have 3 6813s, two 4 bay and one 6 bay. Shively modified the design of the medium power antenna about 2011 or 2012. They went from 2 ¼” interbay lines to 1 5/8”. I had the brand new six bay antenna at 450’ AGL break at 3 welds in a late spring blizzard in western North Dakota with days of installation. Its replacement has survived six winters but I keep a wary eye on the line pressure alarm in the winter. Shively also raised prices in the last 5 years making them less attractive.

The main advantage to the Nicom besides price is that it is an unpressurized system. As was mentioned, SWR tends to be a variable thing. I have a 2 bay at 90.7 on the catwalk of an old AT&T microwave tower that has very low SWR, and single bays that are in the 1.3:1 range. I always go with the 7/16 DIN connectors on the Nicom BKG-77s as they seem to be more rugged than the N connector models and the connector price isn’t much different. We have built a few Nicom arrays that we bought the radiators from Nicom, built our own equal length lines out of Superflex or LDF4-50, and used a Bext power divider. I have used several Nicom power dividers but have sealed the top cover with RTV so that driving snow or rain can’t get into them. Some we have also drilled a weep hole near the input connector as well. The BKG-77 with the mini-radome is surprisingly resistant to detuning from ice buildup.

Just a few random thoughts from the past 30 years of building and living with what I built or what I inherited from someone else.

Later,

Ron Huckeby, CBRE

Broadcast Engineer

Butte, Montana