Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:57:36 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=++19G5DOrqWizwKvvBvDTbceLXmPS3N13REF9ZubkXs=; b=sRvkUEyf8zlLnxB+3i7NjLBC6h9TLxIBRUhEZs1HLFMab44y9acQtXkEk/5xI3bPk8 CTntWETdTyiqywWTPzg38eDUC24shCKo1wvAGi29Ie7pcKfwlXTYb78eXsbFjAFrtgrR b/fUrx9374K4isOAwz8S07cFopB0FIELYDCpiRzoYPsmhBPI1o62u3V/FmBGyep/JO4j kcMHtloLB33Gy8STjXKWyEhg8osLli0XGP06Y+5rXaH9Whxqbn+w8NyBFFiIwGG0moFo FuT6X1RWXTYoqMPs1jtB8K5HvqVGVXlheLAbTQnp91Ik+O06pIkBTISX/ykmt3aEFWMD +zSQ==
If I had my druthers, what I would MOST want to do is to make the UI of Linux work just like the UI in Windows XP, since that is was what all of us are the MOST familiar with, and can almost do without even thinking about it.... like "muscle memory". ;)

(Altho WIN7 would also be acceptable, albeit a tad more annoying.)

Things like right-click drag/drop with a popup menu, etc. (The most commonly used stuff.) So far, the MATE Desktop in Linux Mint requires CTRL-C (or X) then CTRL-V to copy or move files from one folder to another. Want to copy (or move) a GROUP of files? Windows made THAT very easy. In Linux, I hope you don't get Carpal from all the keypresses... :(

Also, having *ALL* connected Windows disk drives (be they internal, or NAS, etc) automatically mounted, thus instantly accessible, would be nice. These are all things that are there in Windows, and are "intuitive" to the vast majority of users.

Like I said, I'm hoping to find something, be it a desktop for Mint or whole other distro that will NOT require everyone to go to "driving school" to use it. Just "get in and drive" is the goal.

Thanks everyone, for your input so far. :)

Willie...

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com> wrote:
> Yet it is this very complaint from Linux users that drove M$ to try to keep the 'look and feel' consistent from version to version for Windoze users.

My opinion is that MS changes the look of OS and software, not because it enhances the user experience, but because if they don't make it look different there is no reason for people to upgrade to the new version. At some point you would be close to the very best way to make a word bold and change the font size. But if they don't change it, they look "old." It's a profit motive. How can we sell more of this stuff to people who already bought it?

Jon