Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:44:40 -0400
The primary goal being to make using Linux as FAMILIAR to Windows users (like myself and others) as possible. (Especially for others!) I want people to be able to "just get in and drive", and not have to go to "driving school" to learn a whole new interface/way of driving.

Good morning, Willie!

There is a distribution out there that is more like Windows than most others, called Linspire.  The release announcement for the latest version, 7.0, can be read at http://www.pc-opensystems.com/2018/01/freespire-30-and-linspire-70-released.html

It's commercial, and costs a bit of change to purchase, Linspire. There is a variant called Freespire that doesn't include some of the integration that Linspire does.  Back in the day, if you wanted a Linux that looked like Windows, Linspire (formerly called 'Lindows' (which trademark is now owned by Microsoft)) was what you got.

I wish I could help you further, but I'm Linux-native and very accustomed to doing most management from the shell (I was using a Unix-like shell when Windows was still in diapers.. uh, was at version 2.0), but it's very true that the right-drag would be nice to have in Nautilus (GNOME file manager); left-drag on the same filesystem defaults to a move, across filesystems it defaults to copy.  Earlier KDE (if I'm remembering correctly) did a very Windows-like right-drag in Konqueror, and that early (3.x) KDE is still available as the 'trinity' desktop.

Since it doesn't matter to me if my Linux looks and feels like Windows, I tend to just use whatever I'm using on the servers I admin, and that currently is CentOS 7.  But since it does matter to you and others, I did a quick look and found a couple of Linux distributions that look like they mimic Windows really closely. Check out Zorin OS ( www.zorinos.com ) and Chalet OS ( https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/home ).  Zorin appears to be much more up-to-date than Chalet, with a new release earlier this month, whereas it's been a couple of years for Chalet (but, since it's based on Ubuntu 16.04, you'll still get security updates up through now).  Zorin has a low-cost 'ultimate' version with some nice-sounding addons, or the free 'core' version that still sounds pretty nice.

Follow-Ups: Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
(dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>, 27 Mar 2018 13:55:29 -0000)
Re: SEMI TECH: "Windifying" LINUX
(Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>, 2 Apr 2018 14:13:12 -0000)