Focus on the Family program has a commercial ad attached
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Focus on the Family program has a commercial ad attached
From: Alan Kilgore <wrvm.engineer@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 08:57:44 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=fpwBHKb+HnsnEhPHVjKur03Wytl6JehcSpSKpeDbLZ8=; b=qZDocgUaET9Vab8YPkvsAeedoiTD+5/dZ+z6sN3zXGJeiLny96OHZSk8HOw0Oa5CEY FYiGMjjJPxkwIBnAVeSvE9COCOS8yfi7Pt4P65fIp1oOnY66ht682swno6lZlGObsn4N 94v5+xF46PtQo1GYVbkNHW+zdyW0vXDzPfUVuBDGaOGAyL1ihoqFLm2PcOM0EZgk9K0Y XQC4ExJi1NrNHXwriG4wOGIsNkdUevuo3SlMiWf0QqMoixPhMAmZY1c2vX9lxFZSHLWe 35WQaat0br1P26oWy5mljSzd9sx9GuF6TL4t2+ovkB4vHdK69FH+u+mDsqRyKzvUHGuz rHUQ==
I've noticed that the last couple days that there is a commercial ad for the movie "I Can Only Imagine" tagged to the end of the Focus on the Family program feed after it sounds like the program has ended. I have no idea how long this has been going on.

It sounds like a great movie and I plan to see it. I have no problem with Focus telling of reasons they recommend the program so that it is informational and/or educational. But the movie is owned by a normal, domestic (for-profit) corporation (I downloaded the Articles of Incorporation to be certain). The Focus program pays to be aired on our station. The Focus program and the commercial together compose the full 28:39 program length for the Focus program.

§73.503(d) states, in part: " No promotional announcement on behalf of for profit entities shall be broadcast at any time in exchange for the receipt, in whole or in part, of consideration to the licensee, its principals, or employees."

Late yesterday afternoon I notified Ambassador who in turn notified Focus. This morning our Program Director initiated a call to Focus but has not yet been able to speak to the correct person. Since the program for today includes an ad I thought some other stations might want a heads-up about this issue so that they can decide for themselves how they might react.

--
Alan Kilgore, CPBE