RE: Online Backup? Which one?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Online Backup? Which one?
From: Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 22:39:13 +0000

I started using Carbonite at home a few years back. It’s good for “normal” home backups, but the unlimited part is not really true. My wife and I are both avid armature photographers. Once I  hit a certain usage, 1 TB IIRC, they slowed me down so much I could never catch up. Since my home computer is powered down most of the time, the automatic cloud backup is good for me. It also protects against the computer being stolen or destroyed. I still have to back up my photos manually.

At the station I use a NAS connected to our server for nightly backups and an “old” computer at our transmitter site also does daily off-site backups. I recently started doing weekly “off-line” backups to a USB drive in case of ransomware. Looks like I didn’t start that too soon.

I’ve wondered how long some ransomware infections may linger before they make their appearance known. With that in mind I started using some old drives to do some rotating monthly backups.

We used to work with a call center company that had a server crash and went out of business. I don’t want that to happen to us.

Backup. Backup. Backup.

Jon