Re: Online Backup? Which one?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Online Backup? Which one?
From: JIm Turvaville <jimturbo61@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 19:13:58 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1520277244; bh=AeaIR5OpXUamLkwqMkBBj3ClTIDKEAwh5MP0GEaNFNE=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=GVB8s5HevrUl9VNFV82j8s9hcxelpcvnjKW9fyIcJdCFqO/Cy3Vi3aTama8nbK4pB/My/V++4H6VRJIIRwrP4WOBFr/w6pgDpVYEKldWzjYoYmnjDkqu87zJ5IrH98UGeoD23I2bo41w10b340VpckyJAAEY5A/k1zXE1xG6PCuAPrOd7oEgk3Od5vgEcm3+imygyHbmVxBg2KT22Jovkt52jZ8ZVp+tIxYFQ7IwnZrcaapgmZe5UyZSMej25yI9sQrt6sFCJfA+I+Ii/9a2AUe2YZT527ulvE2z5w+e1dOx8/qlPlAprxjntNMAooC84dpf6KYgLjhIf6zwohFjkQ==
References: <CACci8U6CbcOobEJY8=BVcKyt_uHXxEEokgFJWWapJbpZLwicTg@mail.gmail.com> <CAOkhgWqYEmystAhXuCkCE6XFuFRDjPmSwYRb351MJJuMQkCweQ@mail.gmail.com> <CACci8U52kb4anbCiHkK0F1_TM6XHsdBg+R2sS+emYk1cRFShzw@mail.gmail.com> <CAOkhgWq2taBmVdMJb5BoyY9dNW-SpANEhPFjQY9H4gvrSC1xJg@mail.gmail.com> <CAB42DVqrzpb3xguKSLzZBmbaayOLpx6n4MO_NN62Z1d5tuD2-A@mail.gmail.com> <BA2B99FD5E616341828E1A9A2EF8BC434A4515FA@STSRV01.WEEC.local> <CACci8U4BhpRe96RPFqDUeO1-iwOK=ohLwPmYmfqvjCBZc33EAg@mail.gmail.com> <00d901d3b4a8$30e11880$92a34980$@icloud.com>
OK everyone - the "cloud" is just someone else's computer - and if you have a cloud backup or a local NAS or USB drive backup, the schedule is what determines if you have a usable backup in case of data corruption. All you get with a Cloud service is their cool software to control the backup process - that's not hard to invest in yourself and never pay the monthly fees.

Dave's problem would have been duplicated in the cloud if the backup schedule was the same as on his local backup drive, so there's no difference except if you lose your internet connection you can't access your backup files.

Having files in the cloud is for home use or for people who are not savvy enough to manage a backup themselves - and NONE of they guys/gals on this list should think they fall in the latter category!!  There are a myriad of great backup software options out there, all of which are probably less than a month or two's cost of a cloud-based service. The hardware is equally affordable depending on your storage requirements, and it's in your control how that hardware is managed.

Personally, I use Second Copy for my stations' computers and have a 2Tb NAS in the back room. It has mirrored drives so I have a pair of drives with all of the data, as well as the original machines. It runs every night between midnight and 3AM on staggered times, except for Saturday and Sunday night when no one is around and no files are changed anyway.  It can also keep a set number of copies of the backup, so if one is corrupt the one before that is also there. That setup cost me less than $400 over 3 years ago and has not failed one time and I'm not near full with my 2 commercial stations' needs.

I had to go this route since 'broadband' is no available in my world - having 10Mb is top tier $200+/mo for me - and the idea of using that bandwidth for a backup that I can manage myself was a poor choice.

As always, YMMV!

Jim "Turbo" Turvaville
SBE Certified Radio Engineer
Turbo Technical Services