RE: Online Backup? Which one?
To: 'CRTech' <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Online Backup? Which one?
From: nathaniel.steele@icloud.com
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 11:29:52 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=icloud.com; s=04042017; t=1520270995; bh=oPOGhdTKlxQgVRlnEt9GLDVPa2PMiOZJOMFvVFkgyhc=; h=From:To:Subject:Date:Message-id:MIME-version:Content-type; b=rCQwriON5Xq3k9CPW15neIn4MPddDbWK7y7Z1yXeDYWLw6Nbck7MchwHVOcuZdWfM JwVjSJkRfS8Ha0AiAwNwFBD/7/JKZGV0icAcTd9cPrFtG0JvsgMYwtUMMnxM+dj668 /VzNYcrzYsoobChXzISEiNX+qg2ocfuHIczPiq1iq7eVWzebOk0X2PBq+ZPvPRNwzH 5DTj2KphUM/9OQq22Ln3FjwZnS98kHePAzFHvUpkrzrrjdHzGRvdpNhv7BFcFUwYAX /byv2hBOd81HLnkFDzpI5wOdt1a4CnyPLdb7ocbhYxO7ey6z6NapD+5WiGARWTL0KY GTa8QkvtPr6pw==

I bought 2 4TB usb3 drives, at about $100 each, I rotate them monthly. One stays at at a transmitter site and one onsite, that way if the building burns to the ground, I Have an offsite backup.

Automation backs up to an office server weekly (robocopy), the office servers get backed up monthly to one of the external drives. Eventually I’d like to have offsite NAS at the transmitter site and backup locally nightly and to the offsite nas weekly. I’d still use the external drives. Never enough backups.

I disconnect the USB drives after backups. Those cryptolocker types of malware can lock any drive the infected computer can see including network drives and external drives. But not if it’s unplugged.

My problem with “cloud” backup, is that it is really slow to upload and download the files. Data control / security is also a concern.